Friday, August 31, 2007

Let's be clear about the surge.

OK, General Petraeus is going to report to congress in early September. It's no secret that I do not support the war in Iraq. I think undeclared wars in general are a bad idea, and even if this was a declared war, I think it is a mis-guided foray into nation building with no real bearing on our National Security. I mean really, this "we have to fight them over there so we don't fight them over here" nonsense sounds so ridiculous when you consider just how wide open our borders are. It sounds especially ridiculous when you consider that more attacks have been attempted at places like Fort Dix and JFK airport.

But I digress, back to the surge. If I were President of the United States I would have brought the troops home by now. Nation building is not the role of the military. However, clearly, I'm not the president. Bush is, and therefore has the rights to make the decision on how he prosecutes the war. He has decided on a surge of troops.

Here's a shocker. . . I hope it works. Yes, that's right, I actually hope it works. I do indeed oppose this war and think it's a mistake, BUT, we are in the situation we are in and can't change that. We can't "un-ring" the bell. So we have to do our best to succeed and I think Bush is trying to succeed. I hope he does.

A military defeat would be an embarrassment and would set us back in resolving the Bin Laden situation by a few years. Plus, it's not exactly a bad thing for a free Iraq to exist. So, considering we have an idiotic foreign policy here, and considering we are stupidly engaged in a war where we have no business being at war, we should at least not look like fools and not render the sacrifice of American lives meaningless. I hope the surge is working and, since Bush insists on Nation Building, I hope the dang nation gets built and the troops come home sooner rather than later. Moreover, I wish the troops well. They aren't responsible for the idiotic decisions on their commanders and leaders, and should be honored and cheered for, although their opinion on the mission is meaningless in my view. Staying in Iraq because the troops think we should be there is like closing the shop early because the workers want to go home.

Now if we do elect someone who has a sane, non nation building policy, then the troops should come home NOW. Let's hope we return to sanity as soon as possible.


Digg!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tina Boyer said...

Like you, I hope the surge works, too. Amy

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home